THE IMPORTANCE OF SEO
Do You Understand The Importance Of SEO?
There is no magic way to rank your website in the first page of Google, Bing or Yahoo. Search engines are governed by complex algorithms and it takes a lot of time and effort to ‘convince’ them that your website or web page deserves one of the top spots. But remember, SEO isn’t just about building search engine-friendly websites; it’s also about making your site better for people too.
What is SEO?
SEO stands for search engine optimisation. Essentially it’s a way of making your website easy for both users and search engine robots/spiders to find, understand and then rank the page relevance so that it appears at the top of the search engine results.
The majority of web traffic is driven by the major commercial search engines, Google, Bing, and Yahoo! Although social media and other types of traffic can generate visits to your website, search engines are the primary method of navigation for most Internet users. If search engines cannot find your site, or add your content to their databases, you miss out on incredible opportunities to drive traffic to your site.
Why you need SEO!
In addition to making content available to search engines, SEO also helps boost rankings so that content will be placed where searchers will more readily find it. The Internet is becoming increasingly competitive, and those companies who perform SEO will have a competitive advantage when it comes to visitors and customers.
The process of optimisation is not a one-time process but requires maintenance, tuning, and continuous testing and monitoring. Whilst some companies make SEO complicated, we think there are certain rules you can follow to provide the search engine bots with the necessary signals to improve your website ranking and in turn increase the volumes of traffic and profitability.
Whilst good quality, relevant and timely fresh content is key; here are a few other SEO tips that are worth following so that you get the right results:
- Give each page a unique but brief page title that accurately describes the page’s content and use the meta description to give further information so that users understand what the page is about.
- Make Urls simple and easy to understand for search engines and users and use hyphens to separate the words that make up a url.
- Add links to a page that point to other pages within your website – internal links.
- Use headings and formatting options to make your pages easier to read, use H1 (post title) and H2 (post headings) tags plus bold and italics too.
- Optimise your images – size, name, description and location.
- Improve your page speed so users get the most accurate results in the fastest possible way.
- Get backlinks from other websites, relevance and quality are important here.
- Ensure you have an xml sitemap to submit to Google and an html sitemap to help visitors find your content easier.
- Adopt a responsive website design so that your site can be correctly displayed on PC’s, tablets and mobile devices.
- Use Google webmaster tools and analytics to get valuable information about your web site usage including no of visitors, time spent on pages, pages visited etc.
SEO takes time, patience and lots of hard work. The results don’t happen immediately and of course it’s an ongoing task that needs to be done on a frequent basis, particularly when adding new content to your website.
If this sounds like it’s too much for you, then don’t panic, we can help. We have been building website for years and as a Google Partner have a greater insight into what makes a good website. Simply get in touch and let us help you to develop a website that is capable of achieving a great Google ranking. Alternatively, contact us now for a free website and Google AdWord review!
When you own or manage a hotel or restaurant, it’s never too early to start planning your marketing in order to capitalise on important times in your business calendar. Whether that’s weddings, Christmas or other special events, the more organised you are...read more
Grade II listed Victorian Gothic mansion, Brownsover Hall Hotel, is a firm favourite with guests. Whether it’s a Wedding, Christmas celebrations, a special meal, weekend away or a corporate event, Brownsover Hall are delighted to welcome new and returning...read more
As a business, it’s always great to have your offices, premises etc. branded correctly, but when your work takes you outside, it’s worth remembering that here are a wealth of promotional marketing options to consider in order to make sure that people know...read more